If you want to give yourself a fever to escape an uncomfortable situation, you can accomplish this by making your face hot, flushed, and covered in sweat. You can also warm up the thermometer to prove you are sick. Adding a few more symptoms, such as pretending to feel lightheaded or having a stuffy nose, will most likely help you avoid school, workout, or that boring dinner party that makes you shiver at the thought. However, it’s usually better to just be honest about why you don’t want to do something than risk getting into trouble.
Part 1: Raising the Temperature of the Thermometer
1. Hold the thermometer under hot water if you want to hurry
If you’re trying to make someone think how to give yourself a fever, you may need to alter the thermometer reading. The quickest fix is to use warm water. Place the tip of the thermometer under the tap and wait for the temperature to rise above 38°C.
- Note the term “hurry”. This remedy usually lasts for about 2-3 minutes, possibly 4.
- Don’t let the temperature rise above 39°C or you could be caught or rushed to the emergency room!
2. Shake the mercury thermometer to raise the temperature
Shaking it while holding it by the tip can skew the reading in your favor. Proceed with caution, though, as shaking it too vigorously can cause it to reach an alarming temperature. If you’re not careful, you could even shatter the glass.
- A mercury thermometer has a pointed metal end. The rest of the thermometer is glass and has numbers stamped on it. The mercury moves inside the thermometer to show the temperature.
- Hold it by the metal tip when you shake it. Point the rest of the thermometer at the floor and shake it back and forth to raise the indicated temperature.
3. If you have a digital thermometer, warm it up by rubbing the tip between your fingers
Hold it as still as possible with one hand and grasp the tip between the thumb and forefinger of the other. Rub your two fingers together as quickly as you can to raise the temperature reading on the thermometer.
- Digital thermometers are usually plastic devices with a metal tip, on one of the two sides there is a digital display for reading the measured temperature.
4. Eat or drink something warm before taking your body temperature by mouth
If there will be someone watching you take it, you can alter the result by increasing the temperature of your mouth before you start. Eat or drink something warm, such as soup or a cup of tea, just before putting the thermometer into your mouth. However, make sure that the food or drink is not so hot that it burns you! Hold some in your mouth for a few seconds before swallowing.
- You could also keep a little warm liquid under your tongue to insert the tip of the thermometer into while taking a measurement.
- Do not heat the liquid too much, to avoid burning your mouth. It should be warm, but not so hot that it causes pain.
- In some cases, if your parents trust you, you could simply take the reading yourself and report the temperature that the thermometer “marks”. Unless they see it, and the temperature isn’t too hot to worry them, you shouldn’t have a problem using this method.
Part 2: How To Give Yourself A Fever: make the face hot
1. Warm your forehead with a bottle or bowl filled with warm water
This is a well-known trick for how to give yourself a fever. Fill a hot water bottle and hold it against your forehead for a few minutes to make it warm to the touch. You can also use a small hot water bottle or heat compress. In any case, place a cloth or towel between the hot object and your forehead if the heat is too intense, or you risk burning yourself.
- By the time you have a parent or someone else check your forehead temperature, it will be warm enough to convince them that you have a fever.
- The hot water bottle trick is a classic method of how to give yourself a fever and has been used successfully for decades.
2. Eat something spicy to raise your body temperature naturally
Spicy foods, such as different varieties of chili peppers, can cause your body temperature to rise. If you have something spicy in the pantry, eat some to achieve your goal the natural way. However, do not overdo it, otherwise you risk feeling really bad!
- If you go overboard and eat something too spicy, drink some milk. This will help relieve some of the burning.
- A great alternative is to try a bowl of curry. Try having it for lunch before you fake symptoms.
3. Exercise or stay under the covers for a while to appear flushed
The easiest thing to do is cover your head for a few minutes. Your own heat will make you blush and raise the temperature of your forehead.
- Alternatively, you can do some exercise – such as jumping jacks or a jog on the spot – to get your face flushed. The purple complexion will give more credibility to the fever.
4. Press a damp washcloth into your skin or splash your face with water to look sweaty
Hold a washcloth under warm water for a few minutes. As soon as it’s hot, place it on your face and leave it there for several minutes, then take it off. If you prefer, you can spray a little water on your face from a spray bottle.
5. Make sure your face isn’t overly wet
You just need to get the appearance of clammy, sweaty skin.
Part 3: How To Give Yourself A Fever By Simulate Other Symptoms
1. Pretend you’re cold, not hot
People with fever often feel cold, even if they feel very hot when touched. If someone comes to check on you, be found under the covers or in warm clothes. State that you are cold and may have a fever.
- You can also simulate some slight shivering to make the staging even more convincing.
2. Act like you’re tired
If you want to know how to give yourself a fever, you can’t move with vitality as if you’re feeling fine. You have to drag your feet and proceed as if you have no energy. For example:
- Support your head with one hand while sitting to make others think you are powerless.
- If you’re standing, allow your body to lean forward. You may even topple sideways or lose your balance.
- Try keeping your eyes partially closed, as if your lids are too heavy to fully open.
3. Pretend you have no appetite
Another symptom of fever is lack of appetite. If someone asks you if you want to eat something, don’t ask them to bring you a hamburger and fries! Simply ask for water, fruit juice or herbal tea. Save your hunger for when you can be alone, or have something simple like toast or soup ready for you.
If you really want to be convincing, refuse even your favorite food. This could help you convince people that you really are “sick.”
4. Sniff, sneeze, or cough to fake the flu
Its symptoms often go hand in hand with a fever, so you can add a few coughs or sneezes to your staging. Scatter some tissues around the bed or around the room to make the circumstances more believable.
- Eating spicy foods is likely to cause your nose to run naturally.
5. Pretend you have a stomach or headache instead of the flu
If you’re not sure if you can mimic flu symptoms, complain of pain in your head or stomach. Keep one hand on the part that is assumed to be affected. If you said you have a stomach ache, go to the bathroom and stay longer than usual.
- For example, you could say, “My tummy hurts a lot.”
6. Do not overdo it
The staging should look realistic, so try not to make it dramatic or far-fetched. Just add a symptom or two to the supposed fever, without acting like you’re dying of some mysterious disease. Trying to overdo it will risk people noticing you’re faking it or thinking you’re very sick and insisting on taking you to the doctor.
For example, avoid coughing while complaining about throwing up and writhing on the floor at the same time. It’s a bit too much!
Part 4: Confessing if You Get Caught
1. Admit that you are faking if someone catches you
If your parents realize you intentionally warmed the thermometer or forehead to make them think you gave yourself a fever, admit your guilt. While it’s tempting to deny what you’ve done, continuing to pretend after you’ve been caught will only get you in even more trouble.
- For example, you might say, “You’re right Mom, I was just pretending to be sick.”
2. Explain why you feigned illness
Your parents are likely to feel upset that you took such extreme measures to avoid attending a class, workout, or other commitment. Be honest about why you don’t want to go, rather than resorting to more lies. Share your feelings without making excuses.
- For example, you could say, “It’s a history test today and I didn’t study. I decided to feign illness so I wouldn’t get a bad grade.”
3. Sorry for lying
After you come clean, sincerely apologize for the deception. Acknowledge that you know you were wrong and promise to be more honest in the future. You agree that it might be difficult to trust you again after what happened.
- For example, you might say something like, “I’m sorry for what I did. I understand it’s wrong and I promise never to do it again.”
4. Accept the consequences
Your parents may ground you, take away your privileges, or otherwise punish you for lying. Instead of arguing or responding, accept the consequences for telling a lie and avoid doing it again.
- Be careful not to get caught. You’ll need to work to regain their trust by being honest, responsible, and approachable.
- If you want, wear an excessive amount of clothing while you sleep. Set your alarm 10 minutes early to have time to go off, then he calls your parents to tell him you’re feeling unusually hot and your tummy hurts.
- Pretend to get plenty of sleep to support your act and stay under the covers in warm clothes.
- If you want to use the hot water method, use the bathroom sink and flush the toilet before turning on the faucet to avoid arousing suspicion.
- Don’t say you threw up unless you made up some fake vomit. Your parents may ask you to check to understand why you are sick. There are many techniques online, make the fake vomit match what you ate.
- “How to give yourself a fever?” could get you in trouble and the person you lied to could lose faith in you. It is often easier to do one’s duty than to pretend to be sick.
- Don’t put an onion under your armpit to raise your body temperature. This method doesn’t work, the only result you can get is to have a smelly armpit.
- Never take medicine to cure a disease you don’t have, you could actually get sick!
- Do not put the thermometer in the microwave. It does not increase the temperature and you will end up breaking both the thermometer and the oven.
- Think about whether it’s really worth pretending to have a fever. If you repeatedly pretend to be sick to skip school, your performance could suffer.
Top Trending Articles from This Blog: