In both cases, it is advisable to wear it, but on condition that the model is correctly selected. That is why, first of all, will we figure out how to wear a shirt correctly? Since by no means everyone is versed in this matter: many do not know for sure which types of shirts can be tucked in and which shirts can be worn loose; how to choose a shirt size; shirt with which collar is better to give preference; or how to match a shirt with trousers. In addition, not only many men, but also some women are interested in: how to properly iron a shirt and how to care for it? Let’s try to find answers to these and other questions.
How to choose a men’s shirt
Without a shirt, it is impossible to even imagine the wardrobe of a modern man. Men’s shirt always remains relevant, because it has not gone out of fashion for many decades. In addition, it is also a versatile piece of clothing that can be worn in business life, and on the occasion of special occasions, and during leisure. Therefore, there are many models of men’s shirts that differ in cut and color. Of these, you can choose the most suitable for you, having read our recommendations:
- choose high-quality and expensive shirts, since it is the shirt that gives out the status of a man;
- in a shirt you should be comfortable, so the composition of the fabric can be no more than 10% synthetics;
- color: choose plain shirts of light or, conversely, saturated shades for a business suit; at the same time, black and multi-colored business-style shirts are not welcome;
- shirts with patterns (plaid, stripes), as well as with patterns, are more suitable for leisure than for business meetings;
- a striped shirt should not be worn in combination with a suit or tie that has the same pattern;
- The shirt you wear under your jacket should have long sleeves. When you put on such a shirt, make sure that its cuffs protrude from under the sleeves of the jacket by 1.5-2 cm.
However, choosing a shirt by color and pattern is not the main thing, it is more important to choose a well-tailored shirt that fits you in size. A shirt, like any other clothing, should be comfortable and in harmony with the appearance of the wearer. Therefore, choose a shirt according to the following parameters:
- The girth of the neck corresponds to the size of the collar of the shirt that suits you, but there should be a small gap between the neck and the collar.
- Choose a shirt with a collar that suits the shape of your face. So, a turn-down collar with sharp tips will help to visually make a wide face narrower. A collar with rounded, widely spaced edges will make the face wider. For a too long neck, choose a shirt with a high turn-down collar or stand-up collar.
- A shirt of the correct length does not have to be constantly tucked in and adjusted, since the back is slightly longer than the front of the shirt.
- Paying attention to the quality of the item, remember that in branded shirts, several folds form in the place where the cuff is sewn to the sleeve.
- Given these features, it will not be difficult to choose a men’s shirt.
How to wear a shirt for men?
In order for a shirt to fit perfectly on a male figure, it is necessary to correctly select not only the style or type of this product, but also accurately determine the size and type of collar, as well as its length.
The main types of men’s shirts
On the modern market you can find the following types of shirts for men:
- classic shirt: shirts of this type are most often made in white or blue. Occasionally, they can be supplemented with a thin strip or a cage. Classic shirts involve wearing a tie or bow tie. Thanks to these accessories, you can decorate a plain shirt. Putting on a new tie or bow tie, each time this item of men’s wardrobe will look new. The collar of this type of shirt is hard. It is equipped with a special elastic plate, which is designed to hold its shape. A wide tie knot would be appropriate here. In addition, the cut of the classic shirt is loose and straight, and the bottom is slightly elongated. Thanks to this, it is convenient to tuck it into trousers;
- casual or sports shirt: these shirt models can be used both for daily wear and for business or special occasions. Such shirts can be plain, and also have a different print: polka dots, floral patterns, geometric patterns, etc. The collar in sports shirts is most often shortened, and the cuffs are fastened with buttons. These shirts go well with both trousers and jeans.
- And what kind of shirt to prefer depends on where you plan to wear it.
Types of men’s shirts by type of cut
A shirt that fits the type of his figure fits well on a man. Depending on this, men’s shirts differ in cut:
- A traditional free-cut shirt is worth buying for men with an imperfect figure or those who have a small belly. It should be worn tucked in, and also complemented with a jacket or any other outerwear. The cuffs of a classic loose-fitting shirt are always slightly longer than the jacket sleeve;
- A fitted shirt will suit slender men who can boast of a toned torso. Such a product can be an independent element of clothing. There is no need to put on a jacket or sweater. A fitted shirt is correctly sized when the button line is right in the center and fits snugly to the body, and the shoulder seam is exactly the width of the shoulder.
Under trousers it is better to buy a classic shirt with a straight cut. A fitted men’s shirt is ideal for jeans. Both models can be purchased inexpensively in the Business Style online store.
How to iron a shirt and take care of it?
In order for a men’s shirt to look not only neat, but also serve for many years, it needs proper care. The main recommendations for the care of the shirt include the following:
- it is washed in ordinary powder, without the addition of bleaching agents;
- if washing is done in a washing machine, then the temperature should not exceed 40 degrees. To spin it, it is better to choose a delicate mode;
- when hand washing, do not twist the product much;
- the shirt should be dried on the shoulders in a straightened form.
Thanks to this, it will be much easier to iron a men’s shirt well.
How to iron a shirt?
When choosing an ironing mode, check what fabric the item is made of:
- A cotton shirt with the addition of polyester is easier to iron than shirts made from any other fabrics. To smooth such products well, it is enough to set the temperature regime corresponding to 110 degrees, and also use a small amount of steam;
- viscose shirts are also ironed quite well: a light pressure of the iron on the surface of the fabric is enough for them. In this case, the ironing mode with steam and a temperature of 120 degrees is suitable;
- linen shirts need a lot of pressure on the iron. It is better to iron them at a higher temperature – 230 degrees, using a lot of steam.
- Ironed cooled shirts should be hung on a hanger in the order in which you plan to put them on.